Thursday, April 19, 2012

NPR's "Goldberg Week"

I'm slowly making my way through NPR's weeklong celebration of Bach's Goldberg Variations. The highlight for me so far has been pianist Jeremy Denk's contributions, he's become one of my favorite writers about music. I follow his blog and loved his piece in the New Yorker about his recording session of Ives' Concord Sonata. It was great reading about another pianist's battle with the nerve-wracking experience of recording solo piano, especially after just doing a solo recording myself this winter.
I listened to Glenn Gould's first recording of the Goldberg's yesterday for the first time in a long while and experienced a state of "sound wonder" (a term from Anthony Braxton's lexicon, he used it to describe what he felt seeing John Coltrane in concert).

No comments:

Post a Comment