Sunday, January 27, 2013

The First Four Notes

Da-da-da-daahhhh!

Earlier this week I attended a salon-style event at Ethan Iverson's studio where he and Matthew Guerrieri played a four-hands piano transcription of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. Ethan remarked on the "salon" aspect of the evening, referring to the 19th century recreational activity of sightreading music for a small audience in the evening.
My listening was distracted a little because I had volunteered to turn pages for them, but it really inspired me to listen seriously to this piece again. I found the second movement particularly extraordinary.
Then Mr. Guerrieri gave a lecture based on themes from his new book about the Fifth, The First Four Notes. It was really fascinating, I can't wait to check it out. And I can't wait for his upcoming appearance on the Colbert report!

No comments:

Post a Comment